Good Day!
Sorry it has been so long since I last wrote. It is hard to find the time to update. I wish I could do it more than I can. So, to say the big news first...I met the president of Guyana on Friday. Yes. It was absolutely ridiculous. I went to a cultural event that was basically an awards ceremony for sports. The president was totally there. My fellow Peace Corps Trainee and I were flipping out. So the uncle of my host family (who we went with) saw how excited we were and he said, "Do you want to meet him?" Ha! We thought he was kidding. But we ending up getting a picture with him (THE PRESIDENT). Then we got to go to Pizza Hut and then a cricket game. It was definitely a good night. I unfortunately didn't bring my camera to the event, but the other PCT, Beth, did. So as soon as I have time to go on facebook. I will try and tag my name to it. But it is so funny because no one in Guyana thought it was a big deal. I guess the president makes a lot of appearances. But either way. It definitely made my day and probably my entire week. We also got a picture with the sportsman and sportwoman of the year. The sportman of the year was Mr. Universe. So yeah. It was cool.
Let's see, this week has been pretty busy. I went to my first school visit this week and taught my first lesson. I am currently in the 6th grade classroom (A lot of little Yale's running around...since he is SOON to be in 6th grade. Can't believe it). The kids are so sweet here. They keep saying. I wish you could be our teacher all the time! Plus I ate lunch with them on Thursday and they are telling me all about Guyana and I am telling them all about The U.S. I am getting some funny questions like, "Do you know Justin Beiber? Rihana? Lady GaGa?" Haha I think since Guyana is so small and everyone pretty much knows OF everyone else, they think it is the same for the US. But I told them that unfortunately, no, I do not know Justin Beiber. Haha. But I sang them our national anthem and they sang me theirs. It was cool!
This coming week will be exciting. My host family is throwing a birthday party for me. Woohoo 23! So, many of the PC trainees are coming for the celebration. Also this week, the PC staff are coming to PC houses to see how well we can cook Guyanese food. Uh oh. haha This will definitely be interesting. I think I am making something with Shrimp and Rice. Luckily my family has a fishing boat off the coast and so they actually gather all the shrimp themselves. So this morning I was watching my host grandma sort through all the pounds of shrimp and picking of the good and bad ones. It was so awesome how good they are. I am also anxious because I think next week is the week when we find out what part of Guyana we will be in...for the next 2 years! Say some prayers that it is a good fit! I also went to the "market." Every saturday and Sunday people from the nearby villages bring fruit, veggies, clothes, shoes, pirated dvds, you name it, to a central place and sell it. Everything is so cheap. Pineapples can go for prices like $2 USD. Plus I have had some great Papaya and Starfruit, Bananas, Passion Fruit, Guava. MMmm Can't get enough. But the market is so cool. Sometimes I feel like I am in a movie. Like Aladdin, for instance, "FISH, FISH GET YOUR FRESH FISH!" Seriously. Get that picture in your head.
Lastly, I am really enjoying my time here. It is so relaxing. Everyone seems so chill and friendly. Like, when I walk to school, every single person will greet you and say, "good morning" "good day" It's so strange, but nice. Well my hour of the computer has flown by after writing some emails and blogging. Hope everything is good with all of you.
Lots of Love!!
Aww Chels! That sounds SO fun, haha you should say you know JUSTIN BEIBER! (remember, I DATED him) :) Love you, I'm e-mailing you soon!
ReplyDeleteHi Chels,
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you met the president. I am so happy that you have been blessed with such a caring and interesting host family! I would love to meet them. You are always on my mind and in my prayers. I love you and miss you so much.
Love, Mom
Hey Chels,
ReplyDeleteI can't help reading everything you've written and thinking, "Wow, that situation is so perfectly Chelsea!" Seriously, it sounds like it's what you were meant to do in the first place, and so I can only hope you are having the time of your life right now. It's safe to say that we all miss you, but I'm so happy that you are having such a great experience.
Nervously working out,
Corey :)
Hey Chelsea!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! It is amazing you got to meet the president of Guyana! You are definitely having a rockin' good time! We all miss you so much! I can't wait to hear more stories.
Love you lots,
JC
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHELLY! I love you very much and hope that you have a special day:) Cant believe you met the president, does he not have security? I am sure the next president will be Obama giving you an award. I love you xxoxo Ali
ReplyDeleteChels! Happy Birthday!! I emailed you too, but in case you aren't checking that I wanted to tell you again. Glad to hear you are having such a great time. I really hope that we can visit at some point. Keep us all posted on your final destination!
ReplyDeleteHappy late birthday chelly!! I miss you so much!! Yesterday i couldn't e-mail you because the homework was LOADED on!! I love you and everyone misses you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Janie
p.s. Ana and Sophia say hi! :)
Thanks for the comments!!
ReplyDelete