Hey all!
I made it to Guyana! The last time I tried to post, it let me post a title but not the info! But I guess that is just something I will have to get used to.
Everything is going really well, though. I am living with a host family about 1 hour away from the capital city of Georgetown in an area called West Demerara. My host family is great! I feel like I am five years old again and my family is protectin me from the world :) For example, my host grandma (even though she is young) packs my lunch in the morning in a blue lunch box. Then my host mom asks, "now where are you going? What is your stop?" It sounds funny, but I actually really need this because I am like a baby in this country. I live with a host grandma, mom, dad, and two little sisters (6 and 4). Oh and they have a parrot named Polly! The town is almost what I expected, except there are a lot more live stock! I see at least a dozen cows, horses, chickens, goats, dogs (like 100), and I saw my first snake yesterday outside the house! Oh and I forgot to mention the adorable frog in the sink before I brushed my teeth.
Today is Mashramani which is a national holiday for the Guyanese. They basically gather with friends and family and celebrate in forms of festivals, etc. My younger sister is supposed to be one of six asked to help raise the flag. So that will be exciting to see! I am sure there will also be a ton of food, too. The food is really good here, but the portion sizes are WAY different! I always thought Americans had big portions, but I guess that was before I came to Guyana. I have been eating a lot of carbs (rice, roti (almost like a flat pancake that you eat with...reminded me of eating Ethiopian food with Holly and Jon in Boston)). There are so many vegetables and fruits available, there are also a ton of things that I have never seen or heard of. There are coconut trees, mango trees, etc right outside my house. So that is really cool to see.
I am not sure if my mom already shared with anyone, but I have had quite the first weekend! I went to a wake on Friday and Saturday and a opencasket funeral on Sunday (with a burial included!) I also went to a Hindu event for a family members 65th birthday (Happy birthday Walter!) Then I went to a Muslim function that had a ton of speakers about how to be a Muslim in todays society. It was all really interesting and the coolest part of it all was the fact that everyone was so inviting. They all wanted me to come to their religious services, parties, or get togethers. They all say before I leave, "Please come back again, you are welcome anytime." I already feel like I am part of a community (although I know that I still have A LOT to learn. They also really want to meet MY real family. They say, "Have them look for cheap flights and when they come, they can stay at my house." I love it. Another cool thing about Guyana is everyone seems to know everyone, or everyone know about everyone. It sounds kind of awful, but it is cool because everyone seems tolerant of everyone elses ways. For example, I love how Muslims, Christians, and Hindus can be so accepting that they practice religion in a certain way, but it is all towards one purpose.
Alright well my time is at a close and I have to get home so my parents won't worry. Haha Miss you all and Please comment on the blog! Love ya!
Hey Chelsea!! IT sounds soooooo cool!!! I really want to come and visit! Two quick questions!
ReplyDelete1.) Are you allowed to e-mail, because i REALLY want too e-mail you!
2.) Are you allowed to send letters back to us??
Okay, and I know this isn't really called for but, the cavs might trade Anthony Parker!!! <3 you, miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Janie
Hey Chelsea! Everyone misses you so much back here!
ReplyDeleteA few people were wondering what your address there would be. Some want to send some cards and a few of the Macy's girls wanna send you a care package. Guyana sounds amazing! I am so happy you are having a great time! Love you!
JC
Chels!! I miss you soooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!! Bad news... Mo Williams and Jamario Moon got traded to L.A. Clippers.... I'm SO sad!!! :( I love you!! <3
ReplyDelete-Janie
Wow Cowt! It sounds like you are having an amazing time! I love the fact that everything is so different and each day is a completely new experience for you! I am also happy that your host family is so good to you! Please tell them I said thank you!
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you are keeping a record of all of the things you are doing so that you can look back at the experience! I'm sure there are a lot of things that you will forget, but recall once you re-read the blog).
You are the best! We are all so proud of our little explorer :)
Love you tons! <3
xoxox!
Just found this blog and I love it...I just wish you could post some more so that I can live vicariously through you! I am glad that you are doing so well and I miss you a ton. Hopefully Nick and I will get to visit! Please be safe!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteElaine, you should write inside your blog! so then Chels can read what YOUR doing!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Love! I hope you have a fantastic day! I miss you!! <3 <3 <3 Love you xoxox
ReplyDelete