Thursday, March 10, 2011

So close I can almost taste it!

Hey friends and family!
Thanks for keeping up with the blog. It makes me feel so much better writing it knowing that people are actually reading it! haha. So my birthday was really nice. My family made SO much food for everyone. We had chowmein, vegetable fried rice, chauna curry, roti, sponge cake, veggies, and fresh passion fruit juice (amazing). My family also got a computer and they are working on getting the internet...so I might have a lot more access to the world wide web soon, although I will miss the internet cafe...haha. Today I went to school to teach a lesson on environmental pollution to my 6th grade class. When I came into the school, the children presented me with a giant candy bar for my birthday. It made my whole month (literally). They were so cute too because one of the boys came up and gave me the chocolate bar in my left hand and shook hands with my right hand as if I was getting an award. It was adorable and I DID feel like a champion! One of the girls in my class also wrote me a letter about herself and what she liked about Guyana. It was so thoughtful and I learned a lot. She also said she thinks I should be on America's got Talent...haha she's too nice. I think she said that because I sang the national anthem for them. The children are also so giving. They are constantly giving me snacks. One boy came up and gave my some cut up mangoes. I was so excited to I tried one right away. But when I bit into a slice it definitely was not a plain mango...it had some kind of spicey flavoring. But that is Guyana for you...they spice EVERYTHING. So I made sure to drink a lot of water out of that one. I am surprised my stomach has been so good to me. But anyways,I like all children...they make my day a little more pleasant. I guess I am in the right profession.
So, big news should be coming soon about my placement for the next 2 years. Say some prayers that it is a good fit! I think there is rumor that they are telling us tomorrow!!
This weekend I am planning on going with some PCT to Georgetown the capital to walk around and maybe see the PC office. They are supposed to have a ton of reading books. I am very excited for that because I plan to set a goal to read 100 books while I am here. What do you think??
So, I had such a sad dream last night! I dreamt that I was holding Ginger and it made me so sad! I miss the family and Ginger is a huge part of it. I need to skype! So jane make sure to give her a big squeeze and a big kiss for me!
I am running a lot more here too. I am not running as far as I used to, but as long as I am moving it makes me happy! Me andanother PCT, Beth, have been running in the morning some days and the nights some days. This morning it decided that it wanted to rain...so that was refreshing at 6am! But it felt good. I am also LOVING the cold bucket showers! Is that weird? Oh and just today I found out that my family had peanut butter in their cupboard. I think they were surprised at how excited I was. Peanut butter is a serous matter, I don't think they understand. So many things that I would never eat at home are becoming new favorites. Like, I never used to like hard boiled eggs or beans...and now I get excited for them because it is not rice! Some of the Peace Corps trainees asked me what my favorite meals was and I said, "Well it used to be stir fry, but after all this rice...it is slowly changing!" So much rice here. Zack, you would be happy.
Yesterday, the PC staff came to my house to see how well I could cook a Guyanese meal. I was really excited because I have been tentatively watching how to cook and I wanted to give it ashot. Well, that was a nice thought but unfortunately sometimes the Guyanese like to be in control. So, my host grandma ended up "helping" a little too much! So the PC staff was like, "This is awesome!" I just smiled and said, "I learned from the best." Haha but its okay because I have been writing down a lot of recipes. So far I have learned how boulanger choka (which is roasted eggplant mixed with onion, tomatoes, red pepper, garlic, and a couple of other things). I have made something called "cook up rice" which is rice, in coconut water, with a lot of veggies in it. Last night I "cooked" fish curry with an amazing soft white fish. I am so anxious to get my own place and cook some of these dishes (in a healthier way). The Guyanese use a lot of sugar, salt, and grease in their food. So a lot of these things can be just as good, but healthy. Elaine, you would probably be freaking out just knowing all the things I have been eating! Hopefully 2 months won't kill me! Anyways, that it all for now. Thanks again for reading. I LOVE the comments :)
I will let you know what my placement is soon!!
Lots of Love from Guyana!

5 comments:

  1. You are too cute! Glad you had a fabulous birthday!!! :-) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chelly! i am glad that you sound so happy, that makes me very happy:) the food you are eating sounds delicous and that juice, yummy! i need you to elaborate on the cold bucket showers. i love you and miss you tons!. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chels I want to go to Guyana! It sounds awesome there! I miss you tons! I'm glad you had a happy birthday too! I'm sure the Charlize Theron guy at the cantab would have sang you a special song if he could hahah. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chelsea!!!! Im so excited for you and that you made it safely to Guyana :) Thanks for the blogging website...It's so good to hear about all your amazing experiences. I can relate to some of them from when I went to El Salvador a few years ago! Im so excited that you get to put all your Kent State education into practice, how could the kids not love you and want you as their teacher, you're amazing!!! Well definitely keep the stories coming! We miss u and wish u all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!i'm so glad that you're having a good/safe/happy time inside Guyana!! I miss you so much, i had a dream about you last night!:( Wish you were here/I was there!:) You're doing AWESOME! <3 you! MIss you!

    ReplyDelete