Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ahh Internet....

(Side note...this was typed Monday night but it didn't post at that time...for some reason)
So, right now I am totally using the internet in the comfort of my own home...actually in my hammock! We are trying to work out something with our downstairs neighbor because he is opening up an internet cafe/arcade tomorrow! The day has finally come! So this is kind of like a trial period...and I am loving it!
Things have been good here. Last week was A LOT better than the week before. I got to do more of my pullout groups and I also got to do a couple teaching workshops for the teachers at Alicia's school and also at Seth's school (another volunteer). They seemed to go really well, the teachers seemed engaged and interested in what we had to say. Right now, we are focusing on running records and individualized assessments to find out where the students are....and how we can make their learning more beneficial based on their needs. (Any ed major will prob roll their eyes at the sound of running records...but it seems to really be working...yay for a college education!!)
I am going to keep this blog short because it is getting late here in Guyana (9:15pm) I should have been in bed like 45 minutes ago but I am having a field day with an internet where people aren't reading over my shoulders!! But yes, I go to bed wicked early because I wake up at 5am and the day is always exhausting...so yeah...short blog.
Home life has been interesting. First off, there is an owl that lives in our barn (that is connected to the house) If anyone has seen the "Fourth Kind"...(thanks a lot JC for making me see it...it was NOT a thriller...but a horror movie) they will know that Owl's are creepy. This owl IS super creepy. It will just stare at you through the window. Not kidding, I was walking from one side of the house to the other (in the hallway) and it's head followed me the whole way!) I also took a picture of it...and wouldn't you know...the eyes are RED. I have never had a human beings eyes turn red when I take a picture with my camera...but of course...the owl's eyes were demonly red. Awesome. I have an evil owl that lives with me. Be jealous is you want.
I also live with a ton on geckos. Sometimes, I will spend 30 minutes at a time just watching the geckos catch bugs in my hammock. They are so cool! They will just snatch up the bug so fast. They also make really loud clicking noises...it took me the longest time to realize that the clicking noises were coming from them! So funny story, I was reading today and then a piece of wet poop lands on my arm. Thanks Gecko. I guess it's the price I have to pay for entertainment here in Guyana...
Alright, well I will hopefully be able to do another blog soon!
Love you all! Happy summer to almost everyone, right??? I still have 4 more weeks...man was it HOT today....it is ALIWAYS summer here!

No comments:

Post a Comment